Sunday, December 12, 2010

Vanilla Sugar / Powder

Years ago my Wife, Sister, and Mother returned from a shopping trip to the city with Vanilla powder. We used it on lots of things, anything to which you wanted to add vanilla but did not want to add liquid. We dusted it on things primarily, like cupcakes, brownies, etc.
We can't buy vanilla powder locally, but have to get it from Kansas City, so I attempted to make some.
Ingredients were corn starch and dextrose and vanilla. I mixed corn starch and dextrose (from the local bulk store) together and added vanilla bean pods (after I scraped the vanilla bean seeds from the pods for some other recipe). I really like the vanilla powder. I made up several quart jars and gave them away. Mom quickly says, "no, no, we are okay on vanilla powder" when I try to give her some, so I don't know if she doesn't like it or really has plenty. Haven't heard from anyone else. Admittedly it isn't something to get really excited about, and the 2 quart jars we kept have lasted for a few years. I mean, you use a tablespoon or so at a time (sometimes just a fraction of a teaspoon) so it last a looonnnggg time.
I really like the vanilla pod flavor. It's very "natural" tasting, in that all you really get is the vanilla without any carrier.
I think if I was doing this all over again, I would just get a pint jar of powdered sugar and add my spent vanilla pods. No real reason to mix corn starch and dextrose, unless you want to tone down the sweetening.
We also add vanilla pods to granulated sugar--really nice in coffee or when you want to dust with granulated sugar.
Anyone have any experience with vanilla powder or vanilla sugar?

No comments:

Post a Comment