Grew the 30 pounds of blackberries on the farm that went into this wine. This is my first wine so I don't know how it will turn out. Since it takes about a year to find out, I think I'll start another batch in the meantime.
30 lbs fresh blackberries
2 lbs raisins
11 lbs sugar
water to make 5 gallons
5 lbs overripe bananas (steeped them for a while and used the "broth" and discarded those nasty overripe bananas)
1 packet Cote des Blanc yeast
Tannin
Acid Blend
Pectic enzyme
Yeast Nutrient
Was concerned about how to break up 30 lbs of blackberries. Froze them as I harvested, which broke some cells. Used an immersion blender to finish the job.
Fermented vigorously for 7 days. By "vigorously" I mean that I had to divide it into two buckets because one 7-gallon bucket couldn't contain it.
Racked off into this container. How are you supposed to get all that fruit out of the primary fermenter (bucket)? I don't have a strainer that will hold a couple gallons of fruit. I used a spider to fish out as much as possible and then strained the rest, twice, to clean it up. Could use an easier process.
Due to rack off again 1/10/11. Then it sits for 8 months to a year. I figure it will be ready for my birthday in November.
Racked to a clean carboy in May 2011.
ReplyDeleteLots of sludge. Steeped 1 gallon of frozen blackberries (from my garden) and used the liquid to top off a 5 gallon carboy.
Racked to 3 gallon carboy and 8 - 20oz grolsch bottles.
ReplyDeleteNice fruity flavor. Nice tannin finish. Really good!
Specific gravity is 1.010 (it has been capped for months). Failed to measure specific gravity previously so I don't know the alcohol content.
Mmm
ReplyDelete