Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fried Noodles

I love Japanese pan noodles at http://www.noodles.com/food/ in Lafayette CO. I found a recipe for fried noodles on page 172 of Charmaine Solomon's The Complete Asian Cookbook. But I didn't have celery or prawns or peanut oil or red chilies or... So I adapted. Here's what I made:
8 oz pad thai rice noodles
1 lb ground pork
lard
2T Sambal Olek Red Chili Paste
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2T oyster sauce
Salt & Pepper
Light soy sauce to taste
Soak rice noodles for 30 minutes in cold water. Cook in boiling salted water until soft but firm (I severely overcooked mine in about 3 minutes). Cool noodles quickly.
Saute onions, garlic & carrots in lard until carrots are half cooked.
Add pork.
When pork is nearly cooked drain if necessary and add oyster sauce and sambal olek. Cook a few more minutes to blend flavors.
Toss with noodles in pan and serve immediately.

Really delicious! Good blend of fishiness, salty soy, and spicy chili. Next time, to make it more varied and a little more healthy, I would add more veggies and use leaner meat (like shrimp or other seafood). Wouldn't hurt to use peanut oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment