Thursday, March 10, 2011

Huevos Rancheros

I love huevos rancheros. Years ago in New Mexico I had them for the first time. The waitress asked if I wanted red chili sauce or green chili sauce. I was nearly tossed out when I didn't have an opinion. Now I've decided that I love them both.

I have a reasonable version of huevos rancheros. It's simple to do. I start with Hatch green chilis. Here in Missouri I can't get great fresh ones so I just buy canned ones. They are fine. I open the chili and grill it till just starting to brown and warm. I use two chilis for me and one for my wife. I put the chilis on top of a soft grilled corn tortilla.









Next I add black beans. Yeah, you can make them from scratch. I open a can into a pan, warm them up, just start to mash them up a little, adding a little water or stock to make them kind of like refried beans, but not quite so mashed. Next layer is fried potatoes and onions.

Finally, I add eggs, scrambled or over medium, some sharp cheddar cheese and of course chili sauce, green or red. I make my own green chili sauce, but you can find reasonable sauces in your local store. I like ones with tomatillos in them.





If it isn't a mess, toss it out and start over.
Be sure to salt all the layers and get some browning on the tortillas, green chilis, potatoes and onions. Loosen your belt and dig in.

2 comments:

  1. man, this looks awesome! i still need to photograph and write up some recipes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina - I double dog dare you!

    ReplyDelete